For the 2010/2011 MSDS fall collection, several screens in student maintenance have changed. This article describes the screens with the most visible changes and explains how to use them.
Table of contents
Most notably, the Special Needs screen has gone away completely, and its fields have been moved to other areas. To summarize:
- The Special Ed Code and the Special Ed FTE are now displayed on the Student Master
- Home Language has moved to the MSDS LEP screen
- Instructional Setting Code is now displayed on the MSDS Special Education screen
Changes to the Student Master screen include the "Special Ed:" field. This field was previously on the Special Needs screen, and it flags the student as a Special Education student.
- Enter the appropriate Special Ed Code in this field. You may also access Special Ed Code Maintenance through the lister (Press F5).
- After you've typed a special education code and pressed Enter, the Special Ed "FTE" field will be displayed. Here you may type the student's Special Ed FTE.
Important Note: This is not the FTE that is submitted to CEPI during the build. Those FTE values are calculated and reported according to the Section 52 and Section 53 FTE entries in the MSDS Special Education screen. For SPM reference and some local reports, the Special Ed code is retained on the Student Master screen.
- Once you've pressed F1 and saved, the red Special Education flag ("SE") should be displayed in the student record.
Note: To remove the flag, just clear the Special Ed code, by pressing F8 while in the field.
The MSDS Basic Information screen has had some of its content removed to better reflect its general MSDS purpose. The remaining "Basic Info" fields show general MSDS submission information about the student, similar to the way the student master displays general SPM student information.
- Enter necessary state submission details, including the MSDS Enrollment date, if applicable, into this screen.
- The basic info screen allows you to "Skip" a student during any of the MSDS submittals listed, by entering "Yes" in the appropriate field.
- This screen also contains the state codes for "Racial Ethnic/Information." Although these fields are displayed as prompts during enrollment, they may be edited here.
- The Program Eligibility information, previously on this screen, has now been moved to MSDS Eligibilities.
The MSDS Eligibilities screen contains the flags for the state sponsored programs that a student may qualify for. Now included here, as well, are the student's Program Eligibility codes, moved from the MSDS Basic Info screen.
- To enter a Program Participation code, type the code in the appropriate field.
- Alternatively, you may select them from a lister (Press F5 to select).
The MSDS Special Education screen now contains the Educational Setting code that was previously on the Special Needs screen. It also continues to hold disability information and special education details for the student.
- The screen can be navigated to from within student maintenance.
- Type "Yes" in the "Special Ed Eligible" field to indicate to the MSDS report builder that the student is a special education student. (Type "No" for non special ed students).
- Enter the Educational Setting code for the services being received by the student.
- After you have entered disability and IEP information, type the special education "Program" code and "Support" services the student is receiving.
- Next, type the Special Education FTE values for Section 52 and Section 53. These will be reported in the MSDS submission, along with the calculated General Ed FTE.
The MSDS LEP screen has also changed with the removal of the Special Needs screen.
- Navigate to this area using the strip menu.
- If the student qualifies for the Limited English Language Proficiency program or LEP, fill in the appropriate fields as before.
- The home/primary language is now entered on this screen in the "Prim Language" field, instead of the Special Needs screen.