You can use XML Notepad 2007 to vaildate your XML files.
- Download it free from the following link:
Note that you may first need to download .NET Frameworks 2.0, which can be found at this link:
- On the XML Notepad 2007 screen, click on the download button.
- Save the file to your desk top. Then, click on the icon to launch the setup program. Select "Run" to start the installation.
- Download the appropriate schema from CEPI. For the General Collection that can be found at:
- Transfer the Exported SPM file to your desk top.
- Launch XML Notepad and Open the XML file you just exported.
- Select View => Schema, which will open a popup window.
- In the popup window, choose File => Add Schemas and select the General Collection schema you downloaded from CEPI's website.
- The bottom pane shows your errors. These errors need to be corrected in SPM, and then a new file needs to be built and exported before you can successfully submit to the state.
For an additional validation tool, see the MISD MSDS Program at their website:
Instructions including the user id and password can be found on this site as well.
To install the software:
- Save the software to your desktop.
- Close all programs that are running - including email.
- We recommend registering to receive updates, which can also be accomplished from the link above.
Running the Macomb software is NOT a requirement to submitting your State MSDS file. The State MSDS system has it's own validations/reports and is the official and required submission.